Business Analyst is a unique job because you get to learn interesting things while working on different projects. They have very dynamic roles and responsibilities and it expands based on the type and complexity of the project. A business analyst has to use many tools and techniques to achieve the deliverable and a successful BA should learn these techniques for positively supporting any project.
A business analyst plays a very critical role in a project therefore, they need to have skills that are required. Many professionals get the opportunity to learn from their seniors as they are grown in a company. However, there are many business analyst certification available which teaches professional about business analysis.
- Why Do You Need Business Analyst Certification?
- Top 6 Best Business Analyst Certification
- 1. Entry Certificate in Business Analysis – ECBA
- 2. Certification of Capability in Business Analysis – CCBA
- 3. Certified Business Analysis Professional – CBAP
- 4. PMI Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA)
- 5. Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering – CPRE
- 6. Business Analyst Certification by BCS
- Which Business Analyst Certification Is Best For Me?
Why Do You Need Business Analyst Certification?
There are many reasons why one should go for the business analyst certification. The following are the key reasons to go for a business analyst certification.
- Enhance BA skill sets – This is one of the primary reasons to go for the business analyst certification. It helps to keep yourself updated with the industry changes and business analysis techniques. Industries are evolving rapidly and you shouldn’t hold yourself back.
- Job Search – The industry has become very crowded and there are many professionals available in any section. Therefore, having a relevant certification helps your chances of being shortlisted for the new job opportunities. It could difficult for a fresher to get into the business analyst profession but having entry-level certification and avoid that barrier.
- Promotion in current job – Some companies have criteria for awarding people with promotion. These criteria are placed to screen the right candidate for a higher position. Having a certification helps you to stand out from your peers and hence the chances of promotion.
- More Salary – Last but not the lease – it helps to get more salary in the market. Having a certification gives you the competitive advances and puts you on top. However, your focus should be towards the learning and enhancing your skill-sets and the rest all will follow eventually. 🙂
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.
Now we know about the benefits of having a certification, let’s see the top 6 business analysts certification that might be very helpful for you.
Top 6 Best Business Analyst Certification
There are many certifications available, however, you cannot simply go for all. Each certification has some criteria and you need intensive business analysis experience before you apply it. There are many certifications available for business analysts but you should choose the correct before inviting your lot of time and energy. The certification you are planning to do should be widely recognized and accepted in industries.
In this article, I will take you in a sequence and explain to you the certification criteria, experience required, exam fees, etc.
1. Entry Certificate in Business Analysis – ECBA
ECBA i.e. Entry Certificate in Business Analysis is an entry-level certification for any professional who wishes to become a business analyst. It could be an ideal certification for you if you do not have experience as a business analyst but interested in becoming one. You will learn the fundamentals of business analysis to get you started with the business analysis process.
ECBA certification is issued by IIBA i.e. International Institute of Business Analysis. You can become an IIBA member to save money in exam fees and to get content access. The annual membership fee of the IIBA varies based on the region and you can find out here.
|ECBA i.e. Entry Certificate in Business Analysis||Not Required||Minimum of 21 Professional Development (PD) hours within the last four years.||Application Fee: US$60|
Exam Fee (Member): US$110
Exam Fee (Non-Members): US$235
Learn more about ECBA certification on the official IIBA website .
2. Certification of Capability in Business Analysis – CCBA
CCBA i.e. Certification of Capability In Business Analysis is also issued by the IIBA. However, this business analyst certification is not for the freshers or anyone who don’t have experience in the business analyst profession. Certification applying process is similar but you need to showcase your work experience as a BA and complete the training hours.
If you have a mid-level experience in business analysis and want to enhance your skill-sets, CCBA could be a great choice for you.
|CCBA i.e. Certification of Capability in Business Analysis||Minimum of 3,750 hours of Business Analysis work experience in the last 7 years.||21 hours of Professional Development within the last 4 years.||Application Fee: US$125|
Exam Fee (Member): US$325
Exam Fee (Non-Members): US$450
Learn more about CCBA certification on the official IIBA website .
3. Certified Business Analysis Professional – CBAP
CBAP i.e. Certified Business Analysis Professional is a very popular certification among the business analyst. CBAP is not only popular but also widely recognized and accepted business analyst certification. CBAP certification is also issued by the IIBA and it is the toughest one.
This certification is for a professional who has a good amount of experience in business analysis. If you are passionate about business analysis and you want to become an expert in the business analyst profession then CBAP certification is the best match for you.
|CBAP i.e. Certified Business Analysis Professional||7,500 hours of Business Analysis Work experience in the last 10 years.||35 hours of Professional Development in the last 4 years.||Application Fee: US$125|
Exam Fee (Member): US$325
Exam Fee (Non-Members): US$450
Learn more about CBAP certification on the official IIBA website .
4. PMI Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA)
PMI professional in business analysis i.e. PMI-PBA is one of the widely recognized and accepted business analysis certifications. This certification is issued by the PMI i.e. Project Management Institute.
PMI-PBA certification is not for the freshers to beginners. This certification is for the mid-level experienced business analyst professionals. Therefore, if you have 3-5 years of working experience in the business analysis domain, then you can go for PMI Professional in Business Analysis PMI-PBA certification.
|PMI Professional in Business Analysis PMI-PBA||36 months of business analysis experience.||35 contact hours of education in business analysis.||Fees (Member): US$405.00|
Fees (Non-member): US$555.00
Learn more about PMI-PBA certification on the official PMI website .
The above four business analyst certifications are very popular and widely accepted certifications however, many other entities are issuing quality business analysis certifications.
5. Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering – CPRE
CPRE i.e. Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering is issued by the International Requirements Engineering Board i.e. IREB. This certification is designed for the working professional in the field of business analysis, requirement engineering, or testing.
CPRE certification has lifetime validity.
International Requirements Engineering Board i.e. IREB has the Foundation, Advanced, and Expert level programs. Exam fees may vary depending upon the country.
Learn more about the Certified Professional for Requirement Engineering (CPRE) on the IRES’s official website.
6. Business Analyst Certification by BCS
BCS – The Chartered Institute for IT also offers one of the best business analyst certifications. The exam fee varies based on the type of course you select. They have the following business analyst certifications;
No experience required for the foundation level certification, however for others you need to finish the previous levels of certification to be eligible. Learn more about the Business Analyst Certification issued by the BCS on their official website.
There are other business analyst certifications as also available however, you should not miss anything if you select any of the above certification. Now, we know the top sex business analyst certification, let’s find out the best one for you.
Which Business Analyst Certification Is Best For Me?
Your selection of business analyst certification should be based on your experience and certification’s recognition and acceptance in the industries. The above-explained certifications are accepted worldwide.
|Experience Level||Suitable Certifications|
|No Experience – Entry Level||1. Entry Certificate in Business Analysis – ECBA|
2. Foundation Level – Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering – CPRE
3. Foundation Level Certification from BCS
|Mid-Level Career (3-5 years of experience)||1. Certification of Capability in Business Analysis – CCBA|
2. PMI Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA)
3. Advanced Level – Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering – CPRE
4. Practitioner or Professional Level Certification from BCS
|High-Level Experience – Expert (5-9 years of experience)||1. Certified Business Analysis Professional – CBAP|
2. Expert Level – Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering – CPRE
3. Expert Level Certification from BCS
- 10 Important Documents Prepared By Business Analyst
- Do Business Analysts Need To Know Programming? Here’s The Truth
- Top 7 Most Wanted Career Paths For The Business Analysts
Now, you know the top 6 business analyst certifications that could be a game-changer in your profession.
Your selection of the certification should be based on its recognition and acceptance in the market. You should be jumping to the expert level certification if you haven’t achieved the required experience in business analysis.
Having a BA certification can help in your career growth and also results in a higher salary in the long run.
Now, you know how to select the best business analyst certification as per your eligibility.
I hope you found this article helpful and it helped to decide the correct certification to enhance your skill-sets. If you enjoyed reading this article then do consider sharing it with your friends and colleagues. You can also subscribe to the BABeginners mailing list to get the latest and interesting posts.